- LivingSocial, the ‘daily deals’ site owned in part by Amazon, has suffered a massive cyber attack this week. More than 50 million accounts have been compromised. And again, it’s a good idea to use different passwords (and e-mail addresses) on different sites.
- “For Their Eyes Only”: Citizen Lab released a 117-page report about the commercialization of digital spying: “The report features new findings, as well as consolidating a year of our research on the commercial market for offensive computer network intrusion capabilities developed by Western companies.”
- One finding in the Citizen Lab report: “We identify instances where FinSpy makes use of Mozilla’s Trademark and Code. The latest Malay-language sample masquerades as Mozilla Firefox in both file properties and in manifest.” As a reaction Mozilla has sent Gamma (the FinSpy maker) a cease and desist letter.
- Multiple Twitter accounts of The Guardian were hacked. The Guardian said that the attack started with phishing emails to staff. Twitter warns Journalists: “We believe that these attacks will continue“.
- The Dutch government has announced plans to give police rights to hack into computers – including those located in foreign countries.
- Robert Lemos wrote about the “Five Habits Of Highly …Successful Malware“.